- About Credit Unions & Mutual Building Societies
- What is a credit union or mutual building society?
- What do they do?
- How do they work?
- International Credit Union Operating Principles
- Switching is easy!
- Find a credit union or mutual building society
- Latest News
- Find a Branch
What do they do?
Credit unions and mutual building societies offer a simple range of savings, loans and insurance products for your everyday banking* needs – with one important difference - profits are given back to members and do not go offshore.
If you want to be part of a New Zealand owned and operated co-operative that is committed to helping New Zealanders grow – join the more than 209,000 New Zealanders that are already using credit union and mutual building society products and services.
There are a range of accounts to meet your everyday banking* needs:
- Transaction Accounts
- Special Purpose Accounts
Savings and Investments*
- Savings Accounts
- Term Deposits
- KiwiSaver Scheme – provided by New Zealand owned Fisher Funds investment managers
Loans – Personal and Home Loans*
Credit unions and mutual building societies are able to offer a range of personal loans and home loans – tailored to your own personal circumstances.
- Personal Loans
- Revolving Credit
- Home Loans
Cards* – Debit and EFTPOS Access your money in a way that suits you
- Debit Card – AccessDebit MasterCard®
Use your money anywhere MasterCard® is accepted and be ready for the next generation in payment technology – a debit card that uses the new MasterCard® PayPassTM Tap & GoTM contactless technology.
- EFTPOS Card – AccessCard
For a range of competitive insurance products
- Comprehensive Vehicle Insurance - Protection for the vehicle you love in the event of an accident. Competitively priced and flexible acceptance criteria
- Funeral Plan Insurance - Providing financial peace of mind for you and your family at a difficult time. Automatic acceptance for ages 16-75 for $5,000 and $7,500 levels of cover. Some of the lowest premiums in the market.
- Loan Protection Insurance - Paying off your loan repayments in the event of the unexpected. Protecting those who are financially dependent on you with assurance your loans are paid should you become ill from trauma, disabled from injury or illness, made redundant or on death. Cover loans up to $50,000 or $1,000 a month for ages 16-70.
*Credit unions are registered under the Friendly Societies and Credit Unions Act 1982 and building societies are registered under the Building Societies Act 1965. They are not registered banks.
*Not all accounts and products are available at all credit unions or building societies. Please enquire at your local branch for availability of products and services.